Mastering short vowels can be difficult for our young learners. So let's Shapin' up our Short Vowels with this mini-unit on CVC words!
This unit can be used in a variety of different ways. It can be used during whole class phonics/word study instruction or during guided reading groups to strengthen your students phonemic awareness skills.
- Kindergarten: (RF.K.2a,b,c,d,e)
- Grade 1: (RF.1.2.a,b,c,d)
- Grade 2: (RF.2.3a)
Included in this Short Vowels CVC Unit is:
- A complete 10 page blackline mini-book which includes 2 short vowel phonograms for each vowel sound to practice CVC words.
- 10 Reproducible pages to use in conjunction with the mini-book.
- Students will use the letter tiles and phonogram workmat to make different CVC words by manipulating the letters and recording them in their mini-book. In addition, the students will apply the skill of blending CVC words by using a CVC word in a sentence on each page. The above mini-book can be utilized during a whole group lesson as you teach each short vowel sound. It can also be used as a review/assessment at the end of your short vowel instruction. Lastly, this can be used during your guided reading groups to instruct students on how to blend phonemes together manipulating the letter tiles to build their phonemic awareness skills.
- Spell It, Sort It, Color It, Cut It! This activity can be used at the end of your short vowel instruction as a means of assessment or during your instruction of the short vowel sounds.
- The students must complete the CVC words by either adding just the missing short vowel sound or completing the entire CVC word. After they spell the word, they must sort the words into Short A and Short E or the second activity allows the students to sort Short I, Short O, and Short U CVC words. They will color their CVC word pictures and glue them to their CVC workmat.
The possibilities are endless with this unit! There are a ton of different ways to utilize the short vowel CVC word cards and letter tiles that are included with this unit.