This Novel-Its® Lapbook is the perfect activity for your students to use when responding to ANY chapter book or novel they are reading. You can also have your students complete these flip flaps and adhere them to their interactive notebooks if you don't want to create a lapbook.
I use these types of activities with my On-Level and Advanced readers all the time in my own classroom. Sometimes I assign my entire reading group a chapter book to read as a group and sometimes independently.
I only will meet with this group to "check-in" on their progress and they share some of their thoughts on the book or characters. When the book is completed and all of their flip flaps are done, we meet as a group and we do a lesson on THEME, as this is probably the most difficult task in the lapbook.
We have a lengthy discussion about different themes presented throughout the book and then they will complete the last activity for their lapbook.
This lapbook includes:
- 7 different flip flaps for your Novel-Its Lapbook
- Sum It Up - chapter summary for each chapter of the book
- Word Wizard - students will focus on tier 2 & 3 vocabulary words they don't know
- What's the Plot? - students will write about the beginning, middle, and end of the story
- Say What - students will write something the character SAID, DID, and THOUGHT and make an inference about the character based on EACH of the events in the story
- Visualize - students will draw a picture about what they visualized when reading a specific part of the book
- Character Traits - students will choose two character traits the main character possesses and support their claim with evidence from the text
- What's the Theme? - students will write the "Big Idea" of the story and support their claim with evidence from the text. Check out THIS VIDEO that gives you an in-depth look at a completed lapbook to see all of the different parts of the resource.